Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Perfect Base in 5 minutes

Continuing with the Italian Officer from my earlier post here, I thought I would show my basing method as well. I start with paper board but any base could be used. If plastic or resin bases are used, a stronger glue may be required but that would be the only change. After cutting out the desired base from a piece of paper board, I superglue the figure to the base.



Next, after the superglue dries, I use a plastic water color brush to apply an even coat of  Elmer's School Glue. Any PVA glue works at this step.


I use model railroad ballast to represent sand, dirt and whatever else I need for the first layer of the base. I keep it in a plastic tub and sprinkle it over the base while holding the figure over the tub. After the base is completely covered, I tap the figure until all the excess ballast falls back into the container.


After the glue dries a little, I coat the ballast in the same Elmer's School Glue as before.


Using the same sprinkle, tap and shake method, I apply static grass over the ballast.


These simple steps can bring a figure to the next level. Ballast and static grass seem to last forever If you continue to save the excess from each base.

No comments:

Post a Comment