Monday, December 23, 2019

Air Strike!!

I have a large collection of 1/48 aircraft that I use as air support in my games. I thought I would share some pictures of them.

Bf-109 in North Africa camouflage 

Experimental Ju-87 Stuka with wing mounted cannons. Also in North Africa camouflage, These planes only flew on the Russian front but I liked it so much I thought I could get away with stretching historical accuracy.


A P-40 armed with bombs. This aircraft carries the fuselage insignia of the Torch landings but the wing insignia have been field modified with the white bars of 1943 used in the Italian Campaign. Truly a veteran aircraft.


P-51D painted in the colors of the Air Commando's. This unit actually flew P-51A's in this scheme but I like olive drab better than the bare aluminum they used on their P-51D's. Armed with rockets and napalm, this is a devastating asset on the table.


A rocket armed spitfire in Far East Command colors.


A P-40 Flying Tiger.


An early navy F4U-1 Corsair but in a late war scheme.

An F4U-5 in 1950's colors. Equipped with napalm, this bird makes its presence known in my early  Cold War games.

The life saving H-13 of MASH fame. I have attached the stretcher carriers with magnets and they can be swapped with gun pods to create the lesser known gunship version. 


2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! Do you incorporate air support into your games or use these for air war games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are used for air support in my 1/35 scale games. I find 1/48th scale to work well for fixed wing aircraft. Because helicopters can land on the table, I've stuck with that 1/35 and 1/32 scale range. If I had the space or the rules to do a 1 on 1 or possibly 2 on 2 dogfight I would happily use these.

    I do get caught up in planes I like vs planes I can use. More than half of my planes are from the pacific theater of ww2 but all I have for a Japanese ground army is 4 tamiya soldiers.

    ReplyDelete