Friday, July 31, 2020

An Imagination Idea! Lets See If it Sticks


An idea came to me tonight and I would love to hear some feedback from my readers on this. I love RPG style hex-crawls but I am not really a fan of RPGs. I have also been looking at my miniature collection and trying to figure out how to use all my WW2 miniatures in one big campaign. The reality is without a GIANT world sized campaign, I can't. 

But then it hit me! If I was to do an Imaginations type campaign, I could do whatever I wanted to. A Japanese style country could fight side by side with a German style country against something styled after the USSR, etc. However I have never done anything with Imaginations

If I was to do this, do I need to change the names of the super powers fighting, or just the subcontinent they are fighting over?

Is it disrespectful to actual history in anyway? 

Would following an RPG-skirmish hybrid hex-crawl appeal better to you more than the mission based hex campaign I have done before?

Thanks again for any feedback or suggestions on this idea. I'll take anything I can get.

 


2 comments:

  1. Imaginations give all sorts of options. I use names for some of my gaming like Albion for the Great Britain and Maple Leaf Country for Canada for example. That way it is obvious who they were based upon but allows them to be radically different too, for example Rusland has a presence in Maple Leaf Country. This works for me . I use Albion in some of my Home Guard gaming too. I have an imaginary 18th century Duchy which still has a 20th Century presence too which can be handy. Some of my1930s gaming takes place in. Modern Holy Roman Empire where an Austria ( The Empire) fights an Italian state (Duchy of Volare Cantare) and involves France ( Frankish) in some games. Sorry about the waffle but I hope it helps. One request could you tell me about the rules you use and how they play, where is a copy obtainable from? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do appreciate your insight! Your blog is one that has inspired me to look in to imaginations. As far as my rules go, lately I have used Fistful of Lead (found at https://wiley-games.myshopify.com) for my combat rules. The core rules are very versatile and it is easy to add any personal flair that is needed. Nordic Weasel’s Five Men in Normandy is a good set of WW2 campaign rules. I don’t use the combat rules, just the campaign rules. However with my potential new campaign, I might write my own campaign rules.

      As for how my rules play, Fistful of Lead is very nice for Squad vs Squad combat. The rules are simple and easily summed up with a reference page after a few games. Activation is with a deck of cards and can lead to some interesting play orders. Wild cards are hard to play when playing solo (in my opinion) but sometimes the need for each side is clear. Five Men is a very Narrative driven campaign. It’s very much inspired by RPGs. Nordic weasel writes some good stuff and can be found on Wargamevault.com

      Delete