Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Five Men in Sicily part 1

I apologize for my long absence. Life has a way of causing hobbies to take a back burner. With that said, I have been able to accomplish some things. My conversion of Nordic Weasel's Price of a Mile into a Second World War skirmish game is coming along nicely. I am play testing it currently and decided to make a campaign out of it. What better campaign rules then Nordic Weasel's Five Men in Normandy to frame such a campaign. Without further ado, I will let Lieutenant Walter Hughes of the United States Army introduce you to the small band working its way across Sicily in the summer of 1943.



July 1943 

I was assigned to the 91st Reconnaissance Squadron shortly after they had landed in Sicily. Told I was being assigned to an elite unit I felt proud of myself. When I arrived at the front, I was humbled immediately. I was to replace a Lt. Perkins who had been shot by a sniper the day after the 91st was deployed to Sicily. I expected to find a platoon to command but instead I found eight men. These eight were loosely attached to C Troop but were usually on their own in enemy territory, finding intelligence where they could and wrecking havoc on the enemy.

These men were

Sgt. William Cox, a no nonsense soldier who had fought with the 91st since the beginning of the Tunisia Campaign,

Cpl. Peter Wood, a B.A.R. gunner who had been Cox's right hand man from the start,

Cpl. Ben Collins who had deserted the 1st Ranger Division but was happy to fight along side the Cavalry Scouts,

Pvt. Joey Martinez, a somewhat dumb soldier who made up for his lack of brains with his brute strength,

Pvts. Arthur Phillips, Paul Price, Samuel Harding, and Robert Bowman who were assigned to the unit shortly before arrival in Sicily. Almost immediately after meeting my men, I received orders to infiltrate a village where there were reports of a possible antitank position. In order for our armored columns to pass through this area, it would have to be dealt with, and General Patton wanted it done now. I was told I would have support by means of an M3 Lee tank...

   
  

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following this campaign. Also, I love the Lincoln Logs buildings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few Airfix Buildings but not enough for a tight urban battlefield. Lincoln logs provide a good customizable alternative. An added bonus, when hit by HE shells, the create nice rubble piles

      Delete